Information Regarding Flooded Produce

— Written By and last updated by
en Español / em Português

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.


Inglês é o idioma de controle desta página. Na medida que haja algum conflito entre o texto original em Inglês e a tradução, o Inglês prevalece.

Ao clicar no link de tradução, um serviço gratuito de tradução será ativado para converter a página para o Português. Como em qualquer tradução pela internet, a conversão não é sensivel ao contexto e pode não ocorrer a tradução para o significado orginal. O serviço de Extensão da Carolina do Norte (NC State Extension) não garante a exatidão do texto traduzido. Por favor, observe que algumas funções ou serviços podem não funcionar como esperado após a tradução.


English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

Dear Agents,

With all the rain that is occurring you may get questions from farmers experiencing flooding in their produce fields. In order to help the growers, refer to the guidance issued by FDA. The guidance document can be found in the following link:

Evaluating the Safety of Flood-affected Food Crops for Human Consumption

This document provides definitions for terms used when water comes into a produce field and/or touches the edible portion of the crop. It discusses actions to take by the grower based on whether the field got flooded or water is pooled. Misidentifying those terms has both public health and economic consequences to farmers. We share this information to make all Agents aware that produce that has been flooded (according to the guidance document) is considered adulterated and cannot be sold.

From guidance:

  1. Safety of food crops when flood waters contacted the edible portions of the crops

If the edible portion of a crop is exposed to flood waters, it is considered adulterated under section 402(a)(4) (21 U.S.C. 342(a)(4)) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and should not enter human food channels. There is no practical method of reconditioning the edible portion of a crop that will provide a reasonable assurance of human food safety. Therefore, the FDA recommends that these crops be disposed of in a manner that ensures they are kept separate from crops that have not been flood damaged to avoid adulterating “clean” crops (Ref. 1, 2, 3).

This applies to ALL food crops, including:

  • Surface crops such as leafy greens, tomatoes, string beans, berries, and corn;
  • Underground crops, such as peanuts, potatoes, carrots, and garlic[2];
  • Crops with a hard outer skin or shell, such as watermelon and winter squash[3];
  • Grains, nuts, corns, and similar products stored in bulk[4];
  • Others.

On a related note, third parties may call and ask about the extent and severity of flooding in your counties and that is ok to discuss, but sharing specific farm locations and damage information can pose a business risk to farmer and should not be done.

If a farmer has specific questions please do not hesitate to contact your Area Specialized Agents or the Produce Safety Office of the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services at (919)614-3082.

Area Specialized Agents – Produce Safety

Elena Rogers (Western half of NC)- cell (828)352-2519,
Dr. Chip Simmons (Eastern half of NC)- cell (919)414-5632,

We also have a post in the NC Fresh Produce Safety website about this topic.

Stay safe and we look forward to working with you,

Elena and Chip

Elena Rogers
Area Specialized Agent
Food Safety – Fresh Produce
Western NC
Department of Horticultural Science
NC State Extension
120 Hospital Ave. NE #1
Lenoir, NC 28645

O: 828-757-8620
C: 828-352-2519