Travel Policies & Resources
This page addresses travel policies specific to NC State Extension. Visit NC State University’s Travel Center for more information on university travel policies and procedures.
NEW Travel Guidelines | Issued Aug. 15, 2016
The guidelines for mileage reimbursement were changed under new Office of State Budget Management (OSBM) authority in January 2016. After many months of discussions, we are pleased to announce some positive clarifications to the travel/mileage reimbursement guidelines, specifically for county-based N.C. Cooperative Extension employees.
Working closely with NC State University’s Controllers Office, we have secured two (2) major adjustments to the OSBM guidelines that support the travel demands of Extension employees and authorize claiming the higher reimbursement rate when using a personal car.
- If there is no rental car agency within 15 miles of your Extension office, then you are not required to get one before you can claim the $0.54/mile rate when using a personal car.
- NC State University has approved four (4) specific situations under which a traveler may be approved for the higher reimbursement rate when traveling over 75 miles and using a personal vehicle, with no rental car requirement. These approved situations are documented on the form below.
Please see below for documents with additional details regarding the adjusted guidelines; you are encouraged to read them carefully. They are effective immediately.
- This is not a “blanket” exception form. You will need to submit an individual form for EACH CIRCUMSTANCE for which you are requesting the higher rate, even if there are multiple qualifying circumstances/segments within one day of travel.
- Travelers are to complete the form and upload it into their Travel Authorization and/or Travel Reimbursement request in the PeopleSoft Travel page.
- Please note that the University Controllers Office (outside of CALS) has the ultimate authority to approve/decline requests.
- These guidelines/adjustments apply ONLY to county-based Extension employees at NC State University. Campus-based and/or research station-based NC State employees are not eligible for these adjustments.
Please also note that N.C. A&T State University Extension employees are to continue to follow the guidelines set out by N.C. A&T.
Travel Guideline Resources