Extension Day of Giving Toolkit
It’s that time again! Time for #GivingPack. Extension will play a vital role in the NC State Day of Giving on March 25, 2020.
On this page, you’ll find information, tools and guidance that Extension local centers can utilize to create official Day of Giving communications. Make sure you’re familiar with the Extension brand style guide before developing custom Day of Giving communications, then use the links below to navigate through the toolkit.
NOTE: NC State Extension campus employees and non-county programs will participate through their campus departments, and can find more info and resources in the CALS Day of Giving Toolkit.
In 2019, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at NC State raised over $730,000 during the NC State Day of Giving. For 2020, local Extension centers have the opportunity to put the NC State brand to work for your own Day of Giving fundraising efforts.
The money raised through each county’s unique link will go back to directly support your county programs and activities.
Our goal is to generate donations from all 101 local centers, which will directly benefit your individual efforts.
To help you successfully raise funds, Extension Marketing and Communications has developed this online toolkit, which provides everything you need to easily promote the Day of Giving to your local audiences.
Your County’s Role
Every local center should have appointed a contact to manage communications leading up to and during the Day of Giving on March 25. This can be anyone in your office who understands social media and can access your social accounts.
Leading up to and during the Day of Giving, your point person will be responsible for:
- Posting content on social media encouraging followers to participate
- Promoting the event on your center’s communications platforms, including – but not limited to – the website, digital screens and email newsletters
- Coordinating efforts among local agents to encourage and support outreach with their key contacts, while making sure your team is on the same page and working in sync
- Coordinating with your local advisory council as appropriate, such as helping them spread the word to their colleagues and contacts in partner organizations to promote support
- Connecting with Extension Communications during the event with questions or concerns
Cash / Check Donations
While we should encourage online donations first and foremost, we understand that some valuable partners may prefer to donate in a more personal way. If your center receives gifts via cash or check, send those to Kathy Kennel at the N.C. Agricultural Foundation, who will ensure that the donation returns to your county.
N.C. Agricultural Foundation
Attn: Kathy Kennel
Campus Box 7645
Raleigh NC 27695-7645
Watch a recording of our overview webinar for county contacts:
In this section, we will share assets specifically created for Extension local centers to use for Day of Giving. Make sure you’re logged into Google with your Unity ID account before trying to access the resources housed in Google Drive.
*Note that on the Day of Giving, each local center should use their unique county fund link in all communications. Your contacts will not be able to donate via the link before March 25. We will share the list of custom URLs once they’re finalized closer to the event.
SOCIAL MEDIA ITEMS
- Content / Messages — localize these draft posts for Facebook and Twitter, which are organized by day leading up to Day of Giving, with your own images and center info
- Graphics — we’ve developed pre-designed graphics for you to use on your local center social channels and digital billboards
- You can also create your own graphics for social media using local images or pics from our Day of Giving image gallery or our Extension photo albums
- Social Media Image Sizing Tool — if creating your own social graphics, you can load and resize images for specific social networks using this free tool
Find more everyday social media tools on our brand site.
- Digital Billboards (View PDF sample) — customize this PowerPoint file for your local audience by adding your own photo, headline and unique link to your county fund page
- You can also use some of the Social Graphics on your local screens as digital billboards
One-on-one communication with your key customers is the best way to promote donations. We encourage local center staff to reach out to customers with whom you have a personal relationship and share the Day of Giving spirit to build awareness of the event in advance, and then encourage their support on the event day.
- Text Message — following is a sample text that can be customized as appropriate – this is not meant for mass messages:
“Hi [NAME], do you love working with [EXTENSION IN COUNTY NAME or PROGRAM NAME] and want to give back? As part of NC State’s Day of Giving, we’re combining forces across the state to raise money for Extension, and we need your help to grow our impact! Localize your Day of Giving gift by using this link on March 25 to directly support Extension in [COUNTY NAME]. We hope you will join us in #GivingPack to Extension!”
- Email Signature — you have the option to update your email signature with the Day of Giving logo and your unique county fund URL
- Image Gallery — we’ve compiled a selection of photos for both general Extension and 4-H that you can use in your materials, though we encourage use of local photos as possible
- You can also use pics from our Extension photo albums if needed
- Logo Usage Guidelines — please follow these university guidelines when using the Day of Giving logo
- Between now and the event, you must use the logo with the date included — you can only use the logo without the date ON the Day of Giving (March 25)
- If creating your own resources, make sure to separate local logos from the Day of Giving logo (e.g. place one at top and one at bottom)
- Day of Giving Website
- CALS Day of Giving Toolkit
- NC State Day of Giving Toolkit
- Communications Recommendations and Guidelines
- Day of Giving FAQ